Tuesday, January 8, 2013

I'm Back!

It seems that this blog seems to correspond to when I'm on maternity leave. What really has me back to writing is one of my 2013 goals: cook at least twice a week. It sounds a little weak to only shoot for two times a week but with leftovers that will cover four days and with two kiddos under two I didn't want to create a goal that was ridiculously unattainable. I just finished reading Dinner: A Love Story and liked the author's idea of writing down the meals that you cook each time you cook. I'm a big fan of lists and seeing things in writing gives me a sense of accomplishment. These days just getting a shower and only getting spit up on once is an accomplishment in itself so I need everything I can get.
Tonight was one of those nights when you taste what you've made and it is so good it tastes like someone else made it - someone who really knows what they're doing. The recipe was for Chicken with Mushrooms and Leeks from Cook's Country magazine. I only used half of the goat cheese since Kevin did the shopping and I didn't note how much I needed but I think if I had used a full cup of cheese the sauce would have been too overpowering. I also made Pureed Potatoes from The Bonne Femme Cookbook (I've made four things just this past month from this cookbook and they have been hits). I threw some salad greens on the side to make myself feel more healthy (another 2013 goal: Eat More Healthy!) and topped it with some croutons I made this morning out of old rosemary bread I got at the store. The whole meal was divine. And K watched S while I cooked so the cooking process was fun and baby R slept through until I had finished eating. Amazing.
So the meal I just ate was the catalysis for getting back to writing. It was so good I just had to record it so the next time I make something so-so or downright bad I have this amazing meal to look back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment